Visitors for Seniors
Volunteers are need to provide emotional support and social interaction to seniors in their homes. In an era where there is high demand for Care Facility placement, many seniors are living isolated in their homes. Volunteers will provide much needed support for individual seniors living alone and help to reduce the isolation that may lead to depression.
Iniitally, contact and visiting may be done by phone until a relationship is established.
Essential Job Functions:
- To listen and/or talk with individual seniors. Sometimes just be with the person in silence.
- Read, write letters; listen to music with the individual. Accompany individual to special events.
- Go for walks with individual.
- Assist senior with organizing special events ie. birthdays, teas, family visits, etc.
- Seek resources and information the individual may need or request (via assistance from B@H coordinator).
- Provide the individual with information on various community resources they may need (via the assistance of the B@H coordinator).
- Maintain confidentiality of the individual.
- Other job duties as discussed with B@H coordinator.
Boundaries of Responsibility:
• No witnessing or signing of documents for individuals.
• No unassisted lifting of the individual.
• No feeding of the individual, changing of dressings, clothing, assisting with toileting, administering medication
• 1 – 2 hours per week approximately.
• 6 months commitment – after successful completion of training
• Mature, stable personality, good listening skills, dependable, a sense of humour, able to work as a team member
• Attend in-house training (to be identified)
• Attend ongoing workshops at NICCCS
For more information:
Please contact Althea Vermaas, Executive Director @ 250-949-8333 or by email: email@example.com
Please fill out the volunteer application form located in the Volunteer home page and either email, mail or bring it in to the office.