Hospice Support Volunteers
Hospice Volunteers are an integral part of the Palliative Care Team. They enhance the quality of life of the patient in many ways. They provide compassionate support for patients and their families in home, hospital, and Care Home.
The importance of our volunteers to the program cannot be overstated. Without volunteers we could provide neither the kinds nor the scope of services which are so urgently needed to enhance the quality of the lives of our patients and their families.
- To provide support to a patient who has a life-threatening or terminal condition and their family.
- To assist the health care team to provide optimum quality of life to the patient who is dying and their family.
- To support other Hospice Palliative Care volunteers.
Responsibilities may include:
- Provide companionship and support to the patient and family
- Provide transportation to appointments, shopping, etc.
- Provide simple comfort measures for a patient
- Writing letters, or reading to the patient
- Maintaining records of visits – day – time – travel
- Attend Volunteer training program and facility orientation programs
- Attending regular volunteer meetings
- Advising volunteer coordinator of sick leave or vacation
Volunteers should have a flexible schedule and dependable transportation. Volunteers must be friendly, compassionate and possess a pleasant personality. Volunteers must be able to communicate well with others. Office experience or knowledge of office equipment and of general office procedures is preferable for office volunteers but is not required. Volunteers must complete the volunteer training program and complete the required personnel information prior to providing services.
Training and Orientation:
Hospice Volunteer Training Module 1 (20 hours) – Palliative Care $125
Will be provided at cost and will be reimbursed upon the completion of 50 hours of volunteer service in the Hospice program, in whatever capacity, beginning after the completion of the Module 1
Hospice Training Module 2 (20 hours) – Grief and Loss $125
Will be provided at cost and will be reimbursed upon the completion of 50 hours of volunteer service in the Hospice program, in whatever capacity, beginning after the completion of the training program
Orientation: 10 hours: Free
Varies, but approximately 6 – 10 hours per month
For more information:
Please contact Althea Vermaas, Executive Director @ 250-949-8333 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please fill out the volunteer application form located in the Volunteer home page and either email, mail or bring it in to the office.